Monday, November 19, 2007

Larry Cressman



Drawing (in a corner), 2007
Installation drawing – sticks, graphite, pins.

My name is Larry Cressman, I’m an artist and I work with drawing and printmaking, and my work over the last 30 years has evolved into three-dimensional site-specific work.

Early on as a child, I thought I wanted to be an archaeologist. I very much enjoyed finding things, making collections, I was very attracted to the physical object. We grew up in the city, often played in the alley. Trash day was a favorite day for doing a search, for finding things. Often my family would take us on trips to the country to visit friends on a farm. I was certainly very attracted to that environment and I think that’s had a major impact on the work that I do today.

I think that the activity of making art is a very positive and constructive one. It’s certainly a mysterious activity, but it’s one that I’ve been drawn to for years and gives me great pleasure.

Is it important to make art? Yes, it’s a definitive yes. I know I’m not happy if I can’t do it. It seems like a very constructive activity in contrast to the overwhelmingly destructive activities that are going on in the world today.

No comments: